Haye cancels June 20 bout with Klitschko

10:42, 04 June 2009
627 0

Due to an arm injury

A bout between heavyweight challenger David Haye of Britain and IBF and WBO Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko of Ukraine has been cancelled due to Haye`s arm injury, RIA Novosti reported.

The official website of the Klitschko brothers did not give details on the injury, but said that the June 20 bout at the Veltins-Arena in Germany`s Schalke will nevertheless take place, with a different opponent.

"We will do everything to realize this fight night. After having recovered from the first shock, we will work on finding a top opponent", said Bernd Bonte, Managing Director of the Klitschko Management Group.

`Dr. Steelhammer` Klitschko (52-3, 46 KOs) said he was disappointed that the bout with Haye, which was expected to attract between 60,000 and 70,000 spectators, had been cancelled.

"I am very disappointed that the fight got cancelled. I`ve been in training camp for weeks. I am in top condition and I was really looking forward to fight night. I don`t want to disappoint the fans in Schalke and I am willing to fight a different opponent as well," Klitschko said.

The 28-year-old British boxer (22-1, 21 KOs) surprised boxing fans by repeatedly insulting Klitschko brothers prior to the cancelled bout.

At a news conference with Wladimir in April, the Londoner wore a t-shirt depicting himself holding aloft the two decapitated heads of the brothers.

Last December a scuffle broke out in a restaurant when the Briton presented brother Vitali (37-2, 36 KOs) with a British edition of Men`s Health magazine, displaying a photo of Haye posing with the decapitated head of Wladimir.

RIA Novosti

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter